At a Glance
- Food for the Soul is a local, faith-based Christian mission that depends primarily upon local generosity for funding, as well as gifts in kind.
- Food for the Soul serves free, home-cooked breakfasts/lunches four days a week to anyone in need at the center near downtown Camden. FFtS served over 24,000 meals in 2018 alone.
- Kershaw County residents are still struggling to make it in this economy. We serve meals to an average of 80 people per day.
- In its 10th year of operation, FFtS is guided by a volunteer Board of Directors and managed by an Executive Director. Our well-equipped facility is debt free.
- The actual cost to prepare & serve a hot, nutritious, balanced meal & provide shelter is very modest. The affordable price is due to generous donors, gifts of in-kind of canned goods, non-perishables and supplies, and the good work of our staff and volunteers.
- Food for the Soul also operates a shelter 7 days per week where safe shelter, showers, & laundry services for men women, and children are provided. In 2018, 104 different individuals were housed; on average, there were 14 per night.
- 8 paid staff members operate the many services offered. FFTS is also blessed with many loyal volunteers who help prepare & serve all meals, organize the pantries, launder bedding and clothing daily.
- FFTS is in compliance with all DHEC and local regulations pertaining to the services provided. The facility serves as an American Red Cross Emergency Shelter when called upon, and is approved by Kershaw County Safety and Emergency Services Department as a Special Needs Emergency Shelter, as well.
- 100% of all donations go directly to support FFtS and are fully tax deductible.